Thursday, January 31, 2013

My Hand Quilting Project

     At my Quilt Guild club meeting, Cindy Blackburg was our guest speaker.  We loved hearing hearing her stories, seeing her beautiful quilts, and shopping afterwards.  I was intrigued by her stamping template method for hand quilting and decided to buy her Log Cabin pattern, stamp and ink pad set. 

     I have to confess that I have been collecting a large amount of (Moda) Barbara Brackmann's Reproduction Civil War fabric since 2002.  Eeeek.  Guilty of an "Obsessive Crafting Disorder".  And truthfully, this Log Cabin project was a great excuse to finally use up my stash. 

     Being new to hand quilting, I was a bit intimidated with using templates and scissors to cut the fabric pieces versus my trusty rotary cutter.  I bought a package of Richard Hemming size 10 needles for piecing blocks, a wooden press for small seams, a spool of thread for HAND QUILTING, and Clover pins.  I was so happy to use my grandmother's embroidery scissors that were given to me a year ago.  My grandmother loved to quilt and when she passed on, she left to me a treasury of handmade cardboard templates, old patterns, and UFOs of her projects.  Call me an ol' sentimental fool... but I treasure items from my family.  Probably why I am making this quilt for one of my grandkids to (hopefully) treasure one day? 

     This is a long-term labor of love (using my most beloved fabric) which made this project enjoyable to stamp, cut, and stitch by hand the blocks.  

     And I do have to admit that I love the idea of packing a block (in a ziploc bag) in my purse -- to hand stitch -- for those times when I have to wait for an appointment or for my child's classes.   Right now, I have a few projects to sit in front of the TV and work on.  I used to have my own craft room -- but hated the idea of being by myself while my family were together in another room.  So, I deliberately chose projects like this to work on if the show we are all watching is not my cup o' tea.    

     I am only halfway into making the needed 48 blocks for this quilt.  Ah, if only I had a cozy fireplace to sit next to as I stitch away!  Maybe a Chai Latte?  More photos as this quilt gets closer to completion! 


No comments:

Post a Comment